Country of Origin: Russia
Russian band Gnoomes offers listeners’ ears a warm embrace of Kosmische-laced dreamy psych rock. The band’s most recent full-length, MU!, makes it easy to get lost in a sonic wilderness of ambient fuzz, swirling synth, and driving rhythm. Gnoomes is currently wrapping up a tour – check them out if they’re in your area!
1. What is your desert island disc (the one album you couldn’t live without)
Ashra – New Age of Earth
2. How did the band members meet (or, for a solo musician, how did you get started)?
We all meet in different circumstances! At first Sasha (the vocalist) and Pasha (the drummer) played in a garage-rock band “Powlers”, then Dima (the guitarist) joined them later and they’d started “Gnoomes”. At some point we knew each other when we played in different bands as we used the same rehearsal spaces.
3. What is the underground music scene like in your home country?
It sucked when we started as musicians but it’s getting better. We glad to see that the Perm music scene is developing. Ten years ago it was only metal and the Russian rock (weird music with Russian poetry instead of lyrics) but now you can find loads of electronic projects, jazz and very authentic modern bands which blend various styles.
4. What are some of your biggest influences outside of music?
Chores and cooking.
5. Tell us about your favorite show you ever played.
It was in the city Thun in Switzerland, only 6 people showed up, but it was dope, because of the venue which is called ‘Caffe Mokka’. It seemed to be the walls of the club were made out of acid!