Band: Mirrored Lips
Country of Origin: Russia
I first learned about Mirrored Lips in an article profiling their 2017 UK tour. The article ended with a quote from the band’s singer Lyusya that, to me, sounded like it could be the Global Garage mission statement:
It’s strange how the more we travel, the more it feels like people are the same all over the world. We have the same hearts, we share the same beliefs… There’s a kind of community in the creative underground that doesn’t depend on nationality, it’s about people… People need to pay more attention to each other, and not just themselves.
Mirrored Lips have a captivating energy and a sharp-post punk sound which is why we’re excited to feature them in this week’s “Five Questions With…”
1. What is your desert island disc (the one album you couldn’t live without?)
Marquee Moon by Television. My mind is split in two hemispheres: before TV/after TV. Wish I could thank Tom Verlaine personally one day.
2. How did the band members meet?
All three left our small mothercities and moved to a big one – Saint Petersburg. Met here quite by an occasion. Seems like we find each other in music with the universe help – without it, in this damaged world full of misunderstanding there’s no chance.
3. What is the underground music scene like in your home country?
Like a cream o’wheat with lumps. Noone gonna try it being sober.
4. What are some of your biggest influences outside of music?
Artaud, Visconti, Jean-Luc Godard, expressionism movement and Dostoevsky
5. Tell us about your favorite show you ever played.
- Set at RAW Power 2018, London-based festival of tenderly selected experimental music. We genuinely did the best we can at the moment. This was what we are, no sugarcoating.
- DIY show in abandoned gulley of Nizhny Novgorod city. Personal guide to bad stage behaviour:
- The very first show in London in March 2017. Blasting us out to the million of ecstatic pieces.